Death Valley

Home Forums Website forum Death Valley

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Bill Stone
    Participant

I’ve been to Death Valley quite a few times over the years, mostly for hiking but also for some biking. I hope to get there again soon within the next week or so, and I’m thinking about some new explorations aboard the Ogre.
    Does anyone have any advice on bike rides in or around Death Valley?

gregblood
    Participant

Hi Bill! I just discovered the forum section here on Cycle365 and saw your question about one of my favorite places. I’ve never biked in Death Valley, but have driven (4-wheel drive) many of the backroads. They all provide great scenery and wonderful wild camping opportunities. One caution though, is that many of them might be too rocky and/or sandy for bicycling. One route I remember that was well-graded was “Titus Canyon”– a one-way road through a beautiful, narrow, steep-walled canyon. It would be an awesome bike ride, but you’d have to check to see if bicycles are allowed on the road. It could be dangerous for bikes because of the narrowness, the curves, and the almost non-existent sight lines for cars coming through.

Bill Stone
    Participant

Hi Greg,

Returned from DV last night. Great trip!

Thanks for your recommendation. I really wanted to bike Titus Canyon. Except for the very bottom (where it’s much wider), the unpaved road is one-way from the top down, and I’m sure if would have been fine on the Ogre. However, I was not wild camping (I set up base camp at Furnace Creek and did five day rides from various trailheads) and the route up Daylight Pass, over to the top of the canyon, down the canyon, and then back to civilization was too long for a one-day ride. Couldn’t figure out how to do it without camping along the way, and I wasn’t geared up for that. Had my ace support crew been with me, she could have ferried me by car to a good starting point to spend the whole day riding down the canyon. Maybe next time. I’ll keep you posted so you can join us.

Meanwhile, I’m slowly starting to put up my Death Valley day rides. First bits already here:

http://bike365.org/bike/news/

PS: I haven’t had a chance to read Speeding to Wisconsin yet. Hope all is well with you. Did your wound heal okay after you were gored and slashed by that pole in the middle of the sidewalk?

gregblood
    Participant

Okay . . . . clearly I haven’t been keeping up. I am really excited to see more of your trip to Death Valley. So far I’ve only seen Laura from France and she is very pretty. (If you don’t tell The Feeshko I wrote that, I’ll keep your secret from the Ace Support Crew.) But really, ALL of us French people are pretty.

Yeah, my wound healed way better than I ever expected. I never had any real pain, never had any loss of range of motion in my shoulder, and it never effected my biking. I’m very lucky. I had the stitches taken out ten days later and the doctor was very pleased with how well I healed. Only very recently have I been experiencing some itching. I think that might be related to the deep stitches in the muscle. Whatever, the only lasting effects are the psychological ones whenever I think about that bolt sticking out of the pole.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.